Ga naar inhoud

With December Winding Down, I’m Reflecting on 2019

Joachim

• Administrators
reflecting

It’s not uncommon to take a step back and assess the year now that we’re well into December. For many, this includes reflecting on goals accomplished — if any — and the state of one’s career or business. It also includes acknowledging the impact of life-changing events, such as graduations, weddings, welcoming new family members into the world, and, sadly, saying goodbye to others.

In many ways, I assess any given year in that manner, too. Now that I have sarcoidosis, I tend to look at a few other items, as well.

For instance, my overall energy level and my ability to manage daily activities are now a factor. The more I can continue to be self-sufficient (even if only with small tasks), the more accomplished I feel. Staying active, productive, and busy, even in the confines of my own house, helps me feel that it has been a good year.

I also assess the year in terms of health setbacks. The state of my sarcoidosis is always a big consideration, but I include our entire household — my husband, our dog, and me — in this assessment.

2019 started fairly quietly. Then I experienced an awful virus that lingered for well over a month in the fall. It required a trip to an emergency center, but luckily, the virus turned out to be just an inconvenience. Overall, it was a relatively quiet year in our house health-wise, which helps to make for a good year.

Certainly, my freelance work helps to make a year successful. This year, I’m especially grateful that I can write this weekly column for BioNews Services. Continuing my creative work in the form of knitting, beading, and mixed media art is important to me, too.

Get-togethers with family and friends are limited, but I am grateful for the time I can spend with people who are important to me.

Like many years, 2019 brought its share of ups and downs. There were disappointments, challenges, and setbacks. But there were some goodies, too. When it doesn’t seem like it has been a particularly good year, I pull out my gratitude list to remind myself of everything I have.

Years ago, at the end of a particularly challenging year, a co-worker asked, “Will next year be a good year?”

I responded, “Like most years, I think it will be a mix — some good and some not so good.”

I think this is true for most years. As we all know, some years are heavier on the good and lighter on the not-so-good. Other years are the opposite.

I hope that 2020 will usher in a nice mix of blessings for those who can really use them, more joy than tears in the lives of all, and lots of positive surprises.

Note: Sarcoidosis News is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The opinions expressed in this column are not those of Sarcoidosis News or its parent company, BioNews Services, and are intended to spark discussion about issues pertaining to sarcoidosis.

The post With December Winding Down, I’m Reflecting on 2019 appeared first on Sarcoidosis News.

Link naar het originele artikel

Maak een account aan of login om te reageren

Je moet forum lid zijn om te kunnen reageren

Maak een account aan

Maak een account aan voor het forum. Het is niet moeilijk!

Registreer een nieuw account

Als u al een account heeft? log hier in

Log nu in
  • Maak Nieuw...

Belangrijke Informatie

Wij willen cookies op uw apparaat plaatsen, welke ervoor zorgen dat dit forum beter functioneert. U kunt uw cookie instellingen aanpassen, anders gaan wij ervan uit dat u ermee instemt om door te gaan.