Ga naar inhoud

3 Reasons to Find a New Doctor

Joachim

• Administrators
slowing down, doctor, health checklist, medical appointments, exercise, holidays, medicare open enrollment, healthy streak, medical marijuana, lung care, insecurities, employment, managing a disease

The more visits I have with a physician, the harder it is to cut ties. Which is why, between breaths behind a face mask, I was relaying my complaint again.

It was a loop I had been stuck in since summer. Driving to the appointment that December morning, I hoped for change. I left instead with the same prescribed treatment for a condition that was getting worse.

Leaving a physician is easy when you haven’t spent a lot of time in their care. However, the decision gets complicated when you must sort out whether or not their methods are at fault. 

I haven’t shied away from healthcare during the pandemic. Even so, doctor shopping isn’t high on the list of things I want to do. But all of the familiar signs are there that it’s time to explore other options. 

The one-track mind

Sarcoidosis isn’t the only thing that must be taken into account when I’m being treated. More than half of us with this disease have at least one comorbid condition, according to a retrospective analysis of 1,779 patients. I’m in that 54% of the sarcoidosis population. 

When I seek remedies and my various health issues aren’t factored in, problems usually arise, just as they do when doctors choose to go it alone and ignore recommendations from others involved in my care. 

Stubborn as a mule

Some practitioners refuse to veer from the course they’ve dictated, even when it’s apparent other measures should be considered. That point arrives for me when I start getting worse, not better. 

Last month wasn’t the first time I expressed concerns. Being handed the same script as in past consultations made me feel like I had wasted my time and money. 

Nothing new here, move along

Another red flag for me is when physicians rely on a single diagnostic test. And when efforts are failing, they don’t order more thorough radiological exams, bloodwork, or anything else to provide additional information. 

I wish I hadn’t dragged this problem into the new year, with even more potentially contagious strains of the coronavirus out there. My mistake was trying to avoid having to start over at square one with someone new. 

It’s possible that change still won’t bring the relief I’ve sought these past several months. But my long journey to get diagnosed with small fiber neuropathy taught me that sometimes it takes multiple efforts to get it right. 

Brighter side: We all could use a break from bad news right now. So, I’ll be closing my columns with a roundup of positivity until we are able to say goodbye to masks, hug our loved ones, and leave our homes without fear.

• Paid in full: A business owner’s kindness helped make the holidays brighter for more than 150 families in Gallatin, Tennessee. The individual donated more than $17,500 to utility companies to pay off overdue accounts, according to the Gallatin News.
  • Let it snow: Busch Beer is running a U.S. promotion that takes a $1 off its brews for every inch of snow that falls in your state. The rebates are available in 31 states and Washington, D.C., the Patriot-News reported. 

Note: Sarcoidosis News is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The opinions expressed in this column are not those of Sarcoidosis News or its parent company, BioNews, and are intended to spark discussion about issues pertaining to sarcoidosis.

The post 3 Reasons to Find a New Doctor appeared first on Sarcoidosis News.

Link naar het originele artikel

Maak een account aan of login om te reageren

Je moet forum lid zijn om te kunnen reageren

Maak een account aan

Maak een account aan voor het forum. Het is niet moeilijk!

Registreer een nieuw account

Als u al een account heeft? log hier in

Log nu in
  • Maak Nieuw...

Belangrijke Informatie

Wij willen cookies op uw apparaat plaatsen, welke ervoor zorgen dat dit forum beter functioneert. U kunt uw cookie instellingen aanpassen, anders gaan wij ervan uit dat u ermee instemt om door te gaan.