Ga naar inhoud

‘Endureth All Things,’ as the Outcome May Surprise You

Joachim

• Administrators
understand, outcome, diet, motivation, mental diligence, unexpected, numbers, keep moving, family memories, anxiety, medical team, dare, simple pleasures, improvement

“Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.” – 1 Corinthians 13:7

I have lived by this Bible verse for a long time. I really embraced it when I was in high school.

For the most part, I was a good student, average by some measures, but I hung in there despite all the obstacles I faced. 

In my senior year, I was on the verge of failing math, which prompted the possibility that I wouldn’t walk with the rest of my class. I buckled down and really focused on doing my best to catch up. Even my mother noticed how hard I was working. 

Eventually, I came clean and told her what was going on. At first, she was mad at me, but I told her what kind of teacher I had and how a lot of kids were in the same situation.

As graduation day got closer, I wasn’t doing that much better. I really tried, and my mom saw that I was. Finally, it all came down to my mom going to the school for a meeting about my graduation. Then it hit me: I knew I was dead!

Let the games begin

After her meeting with the teacher, we had a “discussion” about the meeting and my efforts. Much to my surprise, she wasn’t mad at me. She saw for herself that the teacher took pleasure in failing students, especially seniors, knowing that the grade affected their graduation possibilities.

I could tell she was very disgusted with the teacher and the meeting. She told me to keep trying and applying myself. Don’t buckle to his threats, she said. Don’t allow him to determine my outcome or my future.

In the end, I failed math. I also graduated and walked with the rest of my class. Apparently, my other grades made the difference. I graduated with a big “F” on my final report card.

I realized that the more determined and focused I was, the better I could be. That was the beginning of not letting anything stand in my way of trying to do my best.

It comes full circle

Living with pulmonary sarcoidosis keeps me wanting and needing to go the extra mile to improve myself. My biggest battles so far have been the multiple spontaneous pneumothoraces I have suffered over the years. Every day is a new adventure.

Pulmonary rehab was the start I needed in reclaiming part of my life. Before rehab, I was afraid of doing what was natural for me. I always felt like something else was going to happen. It didn’t! Rehab helped me trust myself again.

The obstacle I faced in high school could’ve had a negative effect on the outcome of my life. If I hadn’t been proactive about the situation, I would’ve allowed someone else to determine my future. Instead, I faced the problem head-on, and I was determined to be successful. Although the outcome wasn’t everything I had wanted, it wasn’t a total loss.

I learned that no matter what obstacle you’re facing, you have to keep moving through it. The lesson is in the journey, not the outcome. You’ll be surprised at what you learn about yourself.

Note: Sarcoidosis News is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The opinions expressed in this column are not those of Sarcoidosis News or its parent company, BioNews, and are intended to spark discussion about issues pertaining to sarcoidosis.

The post ‘Endureth All Things,’ as the Outcome May Surprise You appeared first on Sarcoidosis News.

Link naar het originele artikel

Maak een account aan of login om te reageren

Je moet forum lid zijn om te kunnen reageren

Maak een account aan

Maak een account aan voor het forum. Het is niet moeilijk!

Registreer een nieuw account

Als u al een account heeft? log hier in

Log nu in
  • Maak Nieuw...

Belangrijke Informatie

Wij willen cookies op uw apparaat plaatsen, welke ervoor zorgen dat dit forum beter functioneert. U kunt uw cookie instellingen aanpassen, anders gaan wij ervan uit dat u ermee instemt om door te gaan.