Ga naar inhoud

Confronting the Devils That Live Within Me

Joachim

• Administrators
Banner for "No Tears for Sarcoidosis" by Charlton Harris

“I trust everyone. I just don’t trust the devil inside them.” – John Bridger

This quote is from one of my top 10 favorite movies, “The Italian Job.” In it, John Bridger, played by Donald Sutherland, leads a band of thieves before turning control of the group over to Charlie, played by Mark Wahlberg. I’m probably one of 20 people who include the movie in their favorites. Oh well. It’s good, action-packed, and I thoroughly enjoy watching it every time it’s on TV.

I haven’t seen the movie in a few months, but for some reason, I started thinking about that quote recently. I don’t know if I was feeling down on myself because of the mental effects of sarcoidosis, or if I did something that really affected me. It might have been a combination of both.

In the movie, the devil inside several characters consists of greed, pride, and selfishness. I started thinking about my own life and what devils live within me.

Certainly, living with sarcoidosis brings a level of self-pity. That could be one.

Selfishness could also be a devil inside me, because sarcoidosis would have me believe that I should keep everything I gain for myself only. Because I’m living with something bad, I deserve all the good that I receive, and I don’t need to share it.

I’ll think that people are only nice to me because of my illness. Not only is that selfish, but it’s also a mental handicap. I can’t tell you how many times folks have gone out of their way to accommodate my needs after seeing my handicap license plate or portable oxygen tank. If I don’t accept their kindness, I make sure to thank them and offer to reciprocate the favor.

Other devils I live with are regret, loneliness, and abandonment. When I was hospitalized for two months, I was alone, except for a few days when my wife and some family members checked on me. After I was released, I was pretty much confined to my house. That’s when loneliness started creeping in.

Shortly after that, I started regretting the life I now have because of sarcoidosis. The irony is that my condition was not my fault. Sarcoidosis found me, I didn’t look for it! I had to learn to live with this reality. Regret wouldn’t get me down, even though chronic health issues can make me want to quit on myself.

Sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night, and my breathing is hard and labored. I feel like I’m trying to catch my breath. By breathing deliberately and slowly, I start to come around. There’s no reason this should be happening, so I’ve had to step back and evaluate my situation.

One issue is that I’m not doing enough during the day to make a difference in my life. This is called doubt. Doubt will take me out of the game faster than anything. Before I became ill, I was busy from 9 to 5. Now, being partially disabled, I have nothing productive to do except go to the gym, which keeps me physically and somewhat mentally stable. At times, I doubt if I’ll reclaim my independence.

For those of us with sarcoidosis, that little voice in our head acts as a devil of sorts. Confusion, fear, and procrastination can keep us from living a new life. Some opportunities are missed, others are squandered. What will your excuse be?

Remember, it’s the devil in a person that can’t be trusted, and we may distrust our own devils, too.

Note: Sarcoidosis News is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The opinions expressed in this column are not those of Sarcoidosis News or its parent company, BioNews, and are intended to spark discussion about issues pertaining to sarcoidosis.

The post Confronting the Devils That Live Within Me appeared first on Sarcoidosis News.

Link naar het originele artikel

Maak een account aan of login om te reageren

Je moet forum lid zijn om te kunnen reageren

Maak een account aan

Maak een account aan voor het forum. Het is niet moeilijk!

Registreer een nieuw account

Als u al een account heeft? log hier in

Log nu in
  • Maak Nieuw...

Belangrijke Informatie

Wij willen cookies op uw apparaat plaatsen, welke ervoor zorgen dat dit forum beter functioneert. U kunt uw cookie instellingen aanpassen, anders gaan wij ervan uit dat u ermee instemt om door te gaan.