Ga naar inhoud

Keep on Living, and With a Thankful Heart

Joachim

• Administrators
fear with chronic illness | Banner for "No Tears for Sarcoidosis" by Charlton Harris

“I am thankful to all those who said no. It’s because of them, I did it myself.” — Wayne W. Dyer

Now that we’re approaching the thick of the holiday season, it’s time for us sarcoidosis warriors to be thankful for what we have and what we’ve overcome this past year — or past two years.

This year was the first time we had an opportunity as a family to celebrate Thanksgiving since 2019. And I enjoyed being with my in-laws who have always looked out for my well-being and have been a huge help in my recovery and rehabilitation. I won’t admit that to them, because they’ll say they already knew that, so I’ll allow them to bask in the warmth of their knowledge.

During the holidays, I often reflect on the years I’ve spent living with sarcoidosis. This year, I was hospitalized twice. It seems like every year since 2018 I have spent some time in the hospital — usually for something related to sarcoidosis.

Those who know me may think I appear to have a laissez-faire attitude about my health. The reality is, I’m trying to continue moving forward. If I were to dwell too much on what I’ve been through, I wouldn’t be able to imagine what I can do. The next few weeks are usually emotionally challenging for me. However, I’m not going to allow that challenge this year.

When I was diagnosed with pulmonary sarcoidosis, I didn’t overthink the condition or what kind of long-term effects it would have on my life. I just kept living my life, doing what I needed to do and what I wanted to do, for the most part.

It turns out that was the right approach, according to Tina Scott, a psychotherapist who was recently interviewed on TV about her new book, “Break Up Glue,” which deals primarily with how to move on with life after the end of a relationship.

When I experienced my multiple spontaneous pneumothoraces, those events were my own “breakup” moments. I wasn’t expecting them and my life was reshaped as a result, ending lots of relationships. My relationship with walking every day, my relationship with riding my bike in the park, my relationship with swimming. They broke up my relationship with walking my dog, with working a regular 9-5 job, and my relationship with traveling on public transportation, where I just enjoyed getting the chance to people-watch.

Lucky for me, these breakups turned out to be more like fractures. As with any fracture, the break eventually heals and, while we may not be able to go back to being our old selves 100%, we hold on to what we can and learn to compensate for what has been taken away from us. Broken or fractured, we still get to decide how we want to live. I want to keep living and doing it with a thankful heart. Two words that mean the same to me are “thankful” and “living.”

I can tell you from firsthand experience, one word means nothing without the other.

Note: Sarcoidosis News is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The opinions expressed in this column are not those of Sarcoidosis News or its parent company, BioNews, and are intended to spark discussion about issues pertaining to sarcoidosis.

The post Keep on Living, and With a Thankful Heart appeared first on Sarcoidosis News.

Link naar het originele artikel

Maak een account aan of login om te reageren

Je moet forum lid zijn om te kunnen reageren

Maak een account aan

Maak een account aan voor het forum. Het is niet moeilijk!

Registreer een nieuw account

Als u al een account heeft? log hier in

Log nu in
  • Maak Nieuw...

Belangrijke Informatie

Wij willen cookies op uw apparaat plaatsen, welke ervoor zorgen dat dit forum beter functioneert. U kunt uw cookie instellingen aanpassen, anders gaan wij ervan uit dat u ermee instemt om door te gaan.