Ga naar inhoud

COVID-19 Has Made Marathon Training Harder

Joachim

• Administrators
marathon | Sarcoidosis News | A banner graphic depicting a man running across a field.

I’ve been learning the hard way that recovery from COVID-19 is in some ways reminiscent of dealing with sarcoidosis.

After being diagnosed with COVID-19 in early January, quickly obtaining monoclonal antibodies to aid in my recovery, and then completing a 20-day isolation period due to my immunocompromised state, I was very excited to get back outside.

Prior to my COVID-19 diagnosis, I was training for my first marathon in May. In November, I hope to run the famous New York City Marathon, and the upcoming May marathon would be a chance to learn how it feels to run such a long distance.

Running has taught me plenty about managing pain, and I love the challenge of running with pulmonary sarcoidosis. But I had never run quite that far before. I have run three half-marathons of just over 13 miles, which weren’t easy, but the thought of doubling that was a challenge I was looking forward to.

I have no idea whether finishing the run is even possible with my version of pulmonary sarcoidosis, but the best way to find out is to try. While I certainly want to finish the marathon, the journey of seeing what is possible with sarcoidosis is admittedly the appeal of my attempt.

But then came COVID-19, which took almost a month of my training time away from me. After isolation and various negative COVID-19 tests, I’m finally cleared to train again. But it’s tough!

While I haven’t experienced any long COVID-19 symptoms, such as brain fog, I have been struggling mightily with fatigue and insomnia. Both had been prior challenges with sarcoidosis, though I generally had managed them fairly well. But after COVID-19, insomnia and fatigue went from occasionally challenging to downright awful. And when you struggle with insomnia and fatigue, you are bound to struggle with training.

I am slowly running again, though I am measuring running by the amount of time I run, versus the number of miles. Today I was able to run 45 minutes without stopping, which I consider a successful run post-COVID-19. However, just a month ago, I would run much longer than that without difficulty.

Admittedly, today wasn’t that tough all in all, but it is clear that I need a lot more training before I am truly comfortable running or ready for a marathon. So, I am now in an interesting period of training and testing my limits.

I need to run to get my body in shape for the marathon. I must push myself to have a shot of meeting my goal. But I also must be mindful of not pushing myself too hard or fast.

I suppose that’s the nature of any exercise program: If you don’t push yourself hard enough, then you might not get the results you seek. But if you push yourself too hard, then you might find yourself injured.

My 16-week marathon training plan is now a 12-week plan. From chatting with more experienced runners, it sounds like I might still be able to pull this marathon off, but it won’t be easy. Truth be told, whether I am ultimately successful or not, I am really excited to attempt it.

But hey, when it comes to sarcoidosis, and now COVID-19, when is it ever easy?

Note: Sarcoidosis News is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The opinions expressed in this column are not those of Sarcoidosis News or its parent company, BioNews, and are intended to spark discussion about issues pertaining to sarcoidosis.

The post COVID-19 Has Made Marathon Training Harder appeared first on Sarcoidosis News.

Link naar het originele artikel

Maak een account aan of login om te reageren

Je moet forum lid zijn om te kunnen reageren

Maak een account aan

Maak een account aan voor het forum. Het is niet moeilijk!

Registreer een nieuw account

Als u al een account heeft? log hier in

Log nu in
  • Maak Nieuw...

Belangrijke Informatie

Wij willen cookies op uw apparaat plaatsen, welke ervoor zorgen dat dit forum beter functioneert. U kunt uw cookie instellingen aanpassen, anders gaan wij ervan uit dat u ermee instemt om door te gaan.