Ga naar inhoud

As a Black Man With Sarcoidosis, a Dry Cough Reminds Me of My Blessings

Joachim

• Administrators
banner graphic for Calvin Harris' column, "Run Your Own Race," depicting a man running across a field

Recently, I’ve had a dry cough that just won’t go away.

I know that’s an odd way to start a column, but it’s that annoying. Fortunately, I’m pretty sure the cough is due to the seasons changing here in New York, as my lungs and sinuses often need a few weeks to get used to the shift from hot weather to cold.

I also suspect that an attempt to taper my prednisone levels isn’t working out as well as my medical team and I had hoped.

As I’ve written previously, I’m on the corticosteroid prednisone (arguably the most commonly prescribed medicine for sarcoidosis). My levels are modest compared with others, as my highest dosage was 25 mg a day.

Of course, that’s still a lot of medicine, and studies have found that both short- and long-term use can cause various side effects, some of which are quite troubling. My doctors at the Johns Hopkins Sarcoidosis Clinic have been trying to get my dosages down for years without me experiencing a significant reduction in lung function or quality of life, but we haven’t yet figured out how to do so.

Typically, I have great results when taking 15-25 mg a day, but whenever I try 10 or 12.5 mg, my symptoms worsen a bit. For me, it’s usually not immediate or dramatic, but I often start coughing every minute or so. It’s not a cold, nor is it COVID-19; it’s just how my sarcoidosis presents itself.

Thanks to my great doctors and the years I’ve spent learning more about my own body, I’m not worried about the cough. It’s annoying, but not painful. Every time it arises, my medical team increases my prednisone dosage back to my personal sweet spot of 15-25 mg, and then the cough goes away. This has happened multiple times.

Others face greater challenges

All in all, I’m luckier than many others, especially other Black sarcoidosis patients. This population typically has less access to world-class healthcare providers, fewer resources (such as quality health insurance, which is vital with a rare disease), and little representation in clinical trials. These issues disproportionately affect communities of color.

That is part of why I’m so proud to be a part of the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research‘s Patient Advisory Committee, as well as the foundation’s new Ignore No More: ACTe Now! campaign, which aims to improve sarcoidosis outcomes in the Black community by increasing awareness and participation in clinical trials. The clinicians, researchers, patients, and advocates involved in the campaign have set the following goals:

• Increase understanding of Black Americans’ attitudes, knowledge, and experience with clinical trials.
  • Increase understanding of the barriers Black Americans face in participating in clinical trials.
  • Develop recommendations to increase representation of Black Americans with sarcoidosis in clinical trials.

These are lofty goals, but sarcoidosis is a big problem in my community.

I am well aware that I am privileged to have access to world-class healthcare, quality insurance, and the resources to cover the costs of living with a rare disease. As a result, I can live a fairly normal life (or as normal as one can hope for with sarcoidosis). But my experience shouldn’t be unusual.

My hope is that this campaign will greatly increase awareness of sarcoidosis and encourage Black patients to participate in clinical trials. That will ultimately improve our lives and benefit everyone in the sarcoidosis community.

Note: Sarcoidosis News is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The opinions expressed in this column are not those of Sarcoidosis News or its parent company, BioNews, and are intended to spark discussion about issues pertaining to sarcoidosis.

The post As a Black Man With Sarcoidosis, a Dry Cough Reminds Me of My Blessings appeared first on Sarcoidosis News.

Link naar het originele artikel

Maak een account aan of login om te reageren

Je moet forum lid zijn om te kunnen reageren

Maak een account aan

Maak een account aan voor het forum. Het is niet moeilijk!

Registreer een nieuw account

Als u al een account heeft? log hier in

Log nu in
  • Maak Nieuw...

Belangrijke Informatie

Wij willen cookies op uw apparaat plaatsen, welke ervoor zorgen dat dit forum beter functioneert. U kunt uw cookie instellingen aanpassen, anders gaan wij ervan uit dat u ermee instemt om door te gaan.